Friday, July 22, 2011

Babies and more babies!

Today's card is another baby-themed one.  I received word today that a colleague from work just gave birth to twins!  She had a boy and a girl, so my card needed to be gender neutral (or at least a bit of both!).  I chose my colour scheme from the Nursery Nest DSP...it is another one of those new goodies that I've been dying to try out!  Check this out...
Card for twins using the Baby Bundle stamp set and Nursery Nest DSP.  The sentiment is from a retired set called By Ones and By Twos.
Inside of card...sentiments are again from the By Ones and By Twos set (retired)
Close up of the sentiment layering.
So...I REALLY struggled with this!  I had something completely different in mind that involved a whole lot of masking and watercolouring and in the end I just couldn't get it to work.  I decided to abandon my original idea and go with something much simpler.  I'm still not crazy about it but honestly, it was the best I could come up with tonight!  I've really noticed that when I am away from stamping for a while...it affects my creativity in a not-so-good way!  When I get to create everyday, the ideas just flow and it is so easy.  When I don't everything seems so much more difficult.  Here's hoping this is just a blip and not a sign of things to come!  Now on to how I put this card together:
Starting with a 4" x 5 1/4" piece of polka dot patterned DSP, I adhered a narrow strip of the rick-rack patterned paper along the left edge.  I then tied a piece of pear pizzazz seam binding ribbon around the length of it, again along the left side.  On a piece of 3" x 3" whisper white cardstock, I randomly stamped some of the images from the Baby Bundle stamp set in blushing bride and marina mist classic ink.  I then sponged the edges in marina mist and layered it on a mat of blushing bride and another of marina mist cardstock.  I adhered that to the DSP cardfront.  I then cut a banner out of pear pizzazz, using my modern label punch to shape the ends.  I scored each end twice, folding the scores in opposite directions so that it popped up.  I stamped the sentiment on a scrap of whisper white using pear pizzazz ink and then punched it out using my word window punch.  I adhered that to the banner and then adhered the whole thing to the cardfront.  I added two marina mist brads to either end of the banner and then adhered the entire cardfront to a pear pizzazz card base using Tombow liquid glue.
For the inside, I inked the "hurray for twins" sentiment using my pear pizzazz and marina mist markers on a scrap of whisper white cardstock.  I punched it out using my decorative label punch.  I layered that on marina mist and I then punched two scallop ovals from the polka dot patterned DSP and layered them behind the label (this is a trick I learned at convention...I likey!).  I adhered it to the card using dimensionals.  The rest is pretty straightforward...I'm sure you can figure it out.
Here's hoping the weekend brings some stamping time and some much-needed rain (we haven't had a drop in over a month!) as well as relief from this oppressive heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...