Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Blossoms in Bloom and a Techniques Blog Hop

Hello! Does it feel like you just heard from me? I am posting twice this week because it is time for another Stamping Symphony Blog Hop!


This month we are focusing on techniques. I decided to throw it back to one of the very first techniques I learned as a new stamper: Emboss Resist. Now, there are lots of versions of this technique, so what I'm about to show you may go by another name, but ultimately it is a form of emboss resist, so that's what I'm calling it! Check out this card...

how to do emboss resist technique

I used images from the Blossoms in Bloom stamp set. Here is how I achieved this look:

1) Starting with a 4"x 5-1/4" piece of Whisper White card stock, I stamped the larger flower images in Magenta Madness and Mango Melody inks.
2) I stamped the smaller flower images in Gorgeous Grape ink.
3) I stamped the flower centres and leaves using Granny Apple Green ink.
4) I used an embossing buddy over the entire panel.
5) I stamped directly on each image again using Versamark ink.
6) I heat embossed using clear Stampin' Emboss powder.
7) I sponged the entire panel in Night of Navy ink.
8) Using a paper towel, I wiped the excess ink off the embossed images.

The result is this cool effect where the embossed images resist the darker ink, making them pop against the sponged background. Here's a closer look...


how to do emboss resist technique

Now, can you see why I fell in love with this technique all those years ago? It is timeless and works with so many different stamp images. The key is to have solid image stamps that will apply the Versamark evenly so that you get a cleanly embossed layer. 

To complete the rest of the card, I layered the embossed panel on a 4-1/8" x 5-3/8" piece of Magenta Madness card stock and then mounted it on a Misty Moonlight card stock base. The sentiment is stamped in Night of Navy ink on Magenta Madness DSP from the In-Colour DSP pack. I die-cut the sentiment using the Stitched Rectangles dies and added and little bit of frill with a bit of a square vellum doily. I added a bit of Misty Moonlight ribbon and a few Elegant Faceted to complete the look.


how to do emboss resist technique

On the inside of the card I added a Whisper White card stock layer on which I stamped more of the same florals I used on the front. Isn't it amazing how different they look against a white background, as opposed to the navy??

Emboss resist really is a fun technique with many variations. It's a great way to make your supplies stretch further!

Now, be sure to check out the other talented stampers in our hop:

Thanks so much for stopping by today...have a great week!

how to do emboss resist technique



Product List

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...