Monday, March 14, 2011

Cleaned up my desk...again...

...and found an embellishment that I made ages ago to go on a card that I ended up taking in a completely different direction.  So, I figured I had better come up with a design that would put all that ribbon and rosettes to good use...here is what I came up with:

Vintage-look card using the Bliss SAB set (again...can you tell its my FAV!?)

Close up of the butterfly and tiny pearls
Close up of sentiment
Close up of satin rosettes embellished with pearls
Inside of card
Ok...so I have been going WAY overboard with the embellishments lately.  I am even embellishing my embellishments (see photo of rosettes above)!  I think I may need an intervention...its getting out of control.
So...how did I create this over-embellished indulgence?  Here are the deets:

Starting with a 5" x 3 3/4" piece of crumb cake cardstock, I stamped the flourish from the Bliss SAB set in the centre using soft suede ink.  Without reinking, I stamped it a second time slightly offset from the first image.  This gives a shadow effect I rather like.  I then stamped the little bird in crumb cake ink in the lower left corner.  Then came the fun part!  I cracked out my brand new colour spritzer tool and went to town with my soft suede and baja breeze markers.  (I love that thing...prepare to see more of it in future projects!)  I then distressed the edges all the way around the cardstock using the tool from my cutter kit.  I adhered the crumb cake piece to a baja breeze card base.  I then adhered the ribbon/rosette embellishment* at the bottom.
*This is the piece I have had laying around for months.  It was fairly simple to put together.  Start with a strip of baja breeze cardstock and tear it lengthwise.  Do the same to a piece of Newsprint DSP, ensuring it is slightly narrower than the baja breeze piece.  Adhere the two together, sponging the edges lightly with crumb cake ink.  Then run your SNAIL adhesive the entire length of the strip.  Using the ribbon of your choice (here I used some retired kraft taffeta ribbon) simply gather and adhere the ribbon as you go, trying to keep the gathers somewhat even.  You could go the entire length of the cardstock strip, but I ran out of ribbon!!  I hid that fact with three rosettes that I adhered using Tombow.  I added the little pearls in the centres with Tombow too!

Now...back to the rest of the card...

On a scrap of  very vanilla cardstock, I stamped the butterfly in baja breeze and then fussy cut it out.  I adhered it to the card, adding pearls for it's body and to suggest it's flight path.  For the sentiment, I inked "Bliss" using my baja breeze and crumb cake markers and stamped it on another scrap of very vanilla cardstock.  I punched it out with my large oval punch and sponged the edges in both baja breeze and soft suede ink.  I layered it over a decorative label in Newsprint DSP that I tore slightly and sponged with crumb cake ink.  I added another decorative label in baja breeze and then adhered it to the card with dimensionals.  The last little touch was the pearls under the last "s".
Since the outside of the card had so much going on, I kept the inside REALLY simple.  I just stamped the flourish three times around the edges to create a bit of a frame for the greeting I will write inside.

On a completely different note, my UPS man paid me a visit today and dropped off some sneak peek items from the new Idea Book and Catalogue due out July 1st.  I am in L-O-V-E with them!  I have some great projects to share with you tomorrow...see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...