Sunday, February 26, 2012

...and Something for Mom!

I didn't want the moms among us to feel left out so after designing the Father's Day card I posted yesterday I decided to do one for Mother's Day as well.  For this one I pulled out another of my favourite IBC sets:  Field Flowers (I know, just about every set is my favourite!).  I also drew on an oldie but goodie...Inspired by Nature...have a look:

Something for Mom featuring the Field Flowers and Inspired by Nature stamp sets with sentiment from Family Reunion.

Inside view with sentiment from Teeny Tiny Wishes
Ok, so I'm hoping you all noticed the distinct lack of ANY embellishments on this card!!  If you've been following this blog for a while you likely know that I LOVE embellies...ribbon, buttons, brads...they all make me smile and no card is complete with out at least one of the above.  So when I create something that DOESN'T use any of the above it is a momentous event.  So, why did I leave this card so darned naked?  I was thinking of my own mom when designing it.  She is not a girlie girl by any stretch...how many 69-year-old women do you know who own their own chainsaw?!?  Ribbon and buttons just don't suit her style, so I opted for the naked look.  She is, however, an avid gardener and living in Northern Ontario she often incorporates the natural wildflowers native to the area in her gardens.  The images on this card remind me of a snapshot of her acres (and I'm not exaggerating) of gardens.  So, here is what I did to create this simple mom-worthy card...
Starting with a 4" x 5 1/4" piece of very vanilla cardstock, I stamped the grass image from the Inspired by Nature set in pear pizzazz ink.  I stamped it a couple of times to fill the space.  I then stamped the stems from Field Flowers in garden green ink right over top of the grass.  I stamped the solid flowers in perfect plum and then the line flowers in elegant eggplant...gotta love two-step-stamping!  I added the solid centres in more mustard for contrast.  I then sponged the edges of the stamped cardstock using pear pizzazz, going heavier along the bottom edge and lighter along the top.  To add a little interest I used my paper piercer and mat pack to add the detail in the top left and bottom right corners before adhering the whole thing to a pear pizzazz card base.  For the sentiment, I stamped the "To my" from the Family Reunion set in pear pizzazz on some scrap very vanilla cardstock and then the "Mom" in elegant eggplant.  I punched it out with my large oval punch and layered it on a scalloped oval in elegant eggplant.  It is adhered to the card with dimensionals.
For the inside I stamped the stem and blossom images again, but stamped them off first to give the more faded image.  I omitted the more mustard centres to keep it looking muted and soft.  The sentiment is from Teeny Tiny Wishes and is stamped in elegant eggplant on very vanilla and then punched out with the word window. 
A simple card made quick and easy thanks to SU's Two-Step-Stamping ingenuity.  Sure hope my mom likes it!

1 comment:

  1. Field Flowers is a set I can't believe I don't OWN yet! With the new catty set to launch in a few short months, I really need to add this to my collection now! Nice job and am thrilled you've embraced the 'naked' card!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...