Saturday, August 2, 2014

On the Fringe with the Twist

It's the first Saturday of a brand-new month which means it's time for a new challenge at The Technique Twist.  This time we're all on the fringe...scissors, that is!  I've had my pair of fringees for a while and have used them a fair bit, but not nearly as much as on this card...check it out!

Birthday card featuring the Happy Hour stamp set and my trusty fringe scissors!
This was such fun to make!  I had seen awning cards before but had never made one, so I played around for a bit until I got my measurements right and then started fringing!  To get the wavy edges I free-hand trimmed the fringes with my paper snips.


I know someone out there is going to ask me for measurements, but I really don't know.  I just kept scoring and folding and trimming till I got something that worked.  I do know that each of the little fringe strips is 3/4" wide, but as for the larger parts of the card I have no clue!  This was truly a process of trial and error.  I did sponge each little strip with Baked Brown Sugar ink (I used Baked Brown Sugar card stock) to give them some texture and dimension.


Along the top of my little tiki hut I added some wee flowers punched with the Itty Bitty punch pack (retired) and added a leaf from the Bird Builder punch to each one, as well as some bitty pearls that I coloured with my Blendabilities.  Colours I used were Coast Cabana, Calypso Coral, Strawberry Slush, So Saffron and Garden Green for the leaves.  The drinks are stamped in Pool Party and then paperpieced using So Saffron (margarita), Crisp Cantaloupe (peach daiquiri) and Strawberry Slush (strawberry daiquiri)...can you tell I like my frosty beverages?  ;)

The sentiment is stamped in Coastal Cabana and die cut using the Project Life Cards & Labels framelits.  I added a few more flowers to add island flair.

The inside is sort of anti-climatic...sorry!  I simply stamped a sentiment from the Happy Hour set, along with a little paper umbrella.  After all that effort on the front I had nothing left for the inside..haha!

I hope you'll give this challenge a try.  Even if you don't have fringe scissors you can fake it (psst...I know at least two members of the Twisted Design Team who don't own fringees!).  It adds such fun texture and dimension to projects...you should give it a go and then post it over at The Twist so we can all admire your fringy goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...