Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pointillistic Posies for The Twist

Today I have to share my final project for The Technique Twist.  The Design Team have decided to shut down the blog following this week's challenge due to low participation.  For our final challenge we were to try a new technique that takes us out of our comfort zone.  I decided to try a brand-new-to-me way of applying colour to images called Pointillism.  Now, I studied this style of painting in my music history courses in university because musical trends typically reflect those in visual art; but I never imagined I'd actually try it myself!  Here is my project:

Thinking of you card featuring the Bloom With Hope and Papillon Potpourri stamp sets with sentiment from Sassy Salutations.
Now this technique takes some practice.  My first attempt looked nothing like this, but with practice I finally got the hang of it. I stamped my flowers from the Bloom With Hope stamp set, masking the larger flower to give the illusion of depth. I used my Blendabilities:  Melon Mambo, Daffodil Delight and Smokey Slate.  There is a great tutorial over on Splitcoast Stampers that explains how to achieve this looks very clearly.

Essentially, you are colouring your flowers using a series of little dots.  It takes practice to know when to stop with each colour.  The rest of the card is pretty straightforward.  I added a little vellum butterfly from the Papillon Potpourri stamp set and stamped the sentiment from Sassy Salutations.  I used the Large Polka Dots TIEF to emboss the white background panel and the Delicate Designs TIEF  for the black strip.  I added some silver metallic ribbon and a Basics Glimmer Brad to complete the front of the card.

Inside view with sentiment from Really Good Greetings.
On the inside I stamped one of the flowers again and coloured it.  The sentiment is from the Really Good Greetings set and is die cut using the Deco Labels framelits.

I hope you'll consider playing along with our final challenge at The Technique Twist.  It would be great to go out with a bang!  Have a great weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Lovely card once again Leena! This is a very cool technique The flowers look so fresh and pretty. I checked out the tutorial on SCS...thank you for adding that link to your blog. I'll give this technique a try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Leena! I'd say you've mastered the technique very well! Now I need to give it a try. Also love your new blog header!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...