Thursday, March 5, 2015

Faux Silk Butterfly

Man, I am SOOOO ready for Spring!  It seems I can't sit down to stamp a card these days that doesn't include flowers or butterflies...or both!  Bring on the sunshine and warmer weather!
Today I have another of the projects I'll be creating with my monthly techniques group next week.  It uses the Faux Silk technique...an oldie, but one many of my newer members haven't seen.

Spring-themed card featuring the Painted Petals and From the Garden stamp sets, Butterflies Thinlits and using the Faux Silk background technique.
I remember learning the Faux Silk technique at a techniques class when I was a new stamper...I loved it!  Who would have thought that crumpled tissue paper could look so good!  To create the background panel on this card I began with a piece of white tissue paper slightly larger than the size of panel I wanted to create.  I stamped all over the tissue with images from the Painted Petals stamp set, using Soft Sky ink for the flowers and Pistachio Pudding for the leaves.  Ensuring the ink had dried, I then crumpled up the tissue paper, taking card not to tear it.  I applied a thin layer of Multipurpose Liquid Glue all over a piece of Whisper White card stock cut to the size of the panel I wanted.  I uncrumpled the tissue paper, taking care not to completely smooth out the wrinkles, and then pressed the tissue lightly onto the gluey card stock.  I gently tapped the paper into the glue and then wrapped the excess around the back side of the card stock and adhered it in place.  I then adhered the panel to a slightly large piece of Soft Sky card stock. 

With the background panel complete, I embossed the Whisper White layer behind it using the Spring Flowers TIEF and adhered it to a Soft Sky card base.  I die cut a small butterfly from scrap Soft Sky card stock using the Butterflies Thinlits and layered it behind a larger butterfly die-cut from Dazzling Diamonds glimmer paper.  The sentiment, from the From the Garden set, is stamped in Pistachio Pudding ink and trimmed into a pennant using the Banner punch and then embellished with a bit of Pistachio Ruffled Ribbon (retired).  The finishing touches were the Simply Pressed Clay moulded flower and a scattering of pearls.

Inside view with sentiment from the Indescribable Gift stamp set.
On the inside I used a die-cut butterfly as a stencil and daubered some Soft Sky ink over it to get a subtle stenciled butterfly.  I then stamped the sentiment, from the Indescribable Gift set, using Pistachio Pudding ink.
I have to say, even though this technique is an old one, I love the way this card turned out!  Sometimes the tried-and-true can surprise us!

4 comments:

  1. This card is absolutely beautiful Leena! I'm definitely casing it. You are so talented! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamilla! I learned this technique from you!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...