Thursday, February 19, 2015

Colouring 101 - Wonderful Watercolour

Since the release of Stampin' Up's Blendabilities alcohol-based markers I have gotten away from using some of my other favourite colouring media.  It occured to me that perhaps some of you might be in the same situation, so I decided to do a series of posts highlighting different colouring media offered by Stampin' Up. 
Today I'm all about watercolour.  I have to admit this is still one of my favourite ways to colour stamped images.  It is quick and easy to blend colour and creates a soft look that is very appealing to me.  Here is a project I created using an Aquapainter and my classic ink pads for my upcoming Colouring 101 class:

Any-occasion card featuring the Bloom with Hope Hostess stamp set and sentiment from the Million and One set.
I love the sketched look of the images in the Bloom with Hope hostess set...they are perfect for watercolouring!  The key to successfully watercoloured images is to use Watercolour Paper.  Using regular card stock just leads to warped paper, poorly blended colour and generally unsatisfactory results.  On this card I stamped the flower and leaf images in black Staz-On ink.  I coloured the flowers using ink from the Rich Razzleberry ink pad and an Aqua painter.  (One may also use a small paintbrush and water for this look, but I have found it difficult to control the amount of water I am using with that method.  I much prefer the Aqua painter for watercolouring.) I added a little bit of Blackberry Bliss ink to add darker highlights on the flowers, blending it with the lighter shade as I went.  The centre of the flowers is coloured using Crushed Curry ink.  For the leaves I used Old Olive ink.

Once the images had completely dried I stamped the spatters using the Gorgeous Grunge stamp set and gold metallic ink.  The sentiment, from the Million and One stamp set, is heat embossed in gold.  The coloured panel is mounted on a Blackberry Bliss card base.

Here is another card I did using watercolour that features the Blended Bloom stamp...

On this one I used Calypso Coral ink for the petals and Daffodil Delight for the centre of the flower.

Stay tuned tomorrow...I'll have some projects coloured using a Blender pen to show you...it gives a completely different look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...