Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Playdate Christmas

I am always impressed by the quality and versatility of Stampin' Up! products.  They really are second to none.  Last week I was working with the Playdate DSP (see my back to school post) and realized that while the child-friendly patterns are great and really cute, not everyone has a use for that style of paper.  Imagine how thrilled I was to realize that the reverse side of all the kid-type prints are beautiful, subtle, single-colour patterns!  This paper is just perfect for so many uses!  Today's card is a case-in-point.

Christmas card using Playdate DSP!
Close-up of the ornament focal image
Embossed sentiment
All of the patterned paper on this card is from the Playdate pack!  The Real Red polka dots and the Old Olive lattice pattern are perfect for Christmas.  How great is it that this paper is so versatile!  There is also a great pattern for Valentine's Day...but that will be for a MUCH later post!  Here is what I did to make this card:

I started with a 5 1/4" x 4" piece of Whisper White cardstock which I ran through my Big Shot using the Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder.  These folders are so affordable and a terrific way to add instant texture to any project.  I then layered a piece of the Real Red polka dot patterned paper and a piece of the Old Olive lattice patterned paper on top of the embossed white piece.  I didn't worry too much about making the two patterned pieces the same width but did make sure they were exactly 4" long so that they would align with the white piece.  I then took a 1" strip of solid Old Olive cardstock and punched it using my Scalloped Edge punch.  I added the little pierced detail in each scallop using my piercing tool and mat pack.  I glued all of this down using SNAIL adhesive.  I  wrapped a 12" piece of Whisper White satin ribbon around covering the non-scalloped edge of the old olive cardstock and knotted it, notching the ends of the ribbon.
 I then stamped the sentiment from the Perfect Punches set using Versamark ink, sprinkled it with silver embossing powder and heat embossed it.  I punched the sentiment out using my 1 3/4" Scallop Circle punch.  I layered that over a 2" circle in Real Red and adhered it using a glue stick. Then I layered that on a 2 3/8" scalloped circle in Old Olive using dimensionals.  Again, I added the piercing in the centre of each scallop all the way around the circle to tie it into the scalloped strip on the cardfront.  I glued the whole thing to the cardfront using SNAIL adhesive. 
Finally, I stamped the ornament image from the Tags Till Christmas set in Real Red ink on Whisper White cardstock and punched it out using my Ornament Punch.  I added some bling with the Basic Rhinestone jewels.  I tied a 6" length of Real Red 1/8" taffeta ribbon into a tiny bow and adhered it to the top of the ornament using a glue dot.  I punched out two branches using my Two-step XL Bird Punch and adhered them to the upper left corner of the cardfront.  I adhered the embellished ornament below the branches using dimensionals.  I adhered the entire thing to an Old Olive card base.

This card was MUCH faster to make than it was to write about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...