Saturday, January 8, 2011

Playing with a sketch

Every month, we Stampin' Up! demonstrators receive a monthly magazine called "Stampin' Success" .  It is full of great business and stamping tips and always includes a card sketch or two.  This month's issue featured a sketch that is perfect for using up the scraps of DSP we all have laying around our craft rooms.  Last week at our monthly meeting, my upline Jamilla Ivits did the following card as one of our make 'n' takes based on this issue's sketch:

Colour combo from the Colour Coach.  DSP is Botanical Gazette and stamp images are from Clearly for You set.
I loved the simplicity with which this card went together and the fact that there is still lots of visual interest.  So I decided to try my own version of it using a Valentine's theme for some of my workshops this month.  Here is what I came up with:
Valentine's card using sketch from January's Stampin' Success magazine
As you can see, I kept many of the same features that Jamilla's card had:  the double line of piercing on the left, the taffeta ribbon around the top and the offset circles of various colours of cardstock and DSP.  I drew my colour scheme from the Love Impressions DSP which features real red, basic gray, whisper white and pink pirouette.  The stamped images are from the Valentined Defined set.  The sentiment, also from that set, was stamped in real red on whisper white cardstock and then die cut using my scalloped rectangle clearlits die and my Big Shot.  This die is see-through so it is really easy to position and centre over the stamped image. 

I love that using a simple, versatile sketch opens up so many possibilities for creating very different cards without having to come up with a whole new layout every time.  Tomorrow I'll show you another card I did from a different sketch in a previous issue of SS...see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...