Thursday, June 12, 2014

A New (to me!) Technique!

I am SOOO excited about the project I have for you today!  It uses a new technique I just came across and it is such fun!  It's called Hot Glue Embossing and boy did I go to town on this card...check it out:

Any-occasion card featuring the Hot Glue Embossing Technique
Isn't that cool??  Here's how I did it:

  • Starting with a piece of watercolour paper, I spritzed it liberally with water.  Then I splashed drops of reinker, in the following order:  Hello Honey, Pear Pizzazz and Lost Lagoon.  I let the ink do it's thing...helping it along with a small paint brush in spots to ensure the entire piece of paper was inked.
  • Once the paper was dry I squeezed strings of hot glue all over it.  I worked from a height of about 12" above the paper to get thin strings of glue.  I also at times added a couple of large daubs for interest.
  • While the glue was still tacky I sprinkled the whole thing with gold embossing powder and shook off the excess.  Then I heated the glue with my heat tool, melting the glue and activating the embossing powder at the same time.  The glue strands smooth out nicely and also move around a bit during this process.
  • I then mounted my masterpiece on a piece of gold foil paper and matted that with a piece of Lost Lagoon card stock.  
  • The background is embossed using the Pretty Print (retired) TIEF.
  • The sentiment is from the new Work of Art stamp set.

On the inside I stamped the sentiment from the Best of Greetings set (retired) and added a bit of Watercolour Wonder Washi tape.



I love the simplicity of this card...and the technique?  Well let's just say I'll be experimenting with it a whole lot more once I get finished with my report cards!

Now for some fun news!  I am FINALLY getting my very own craft studio!!  A room in our home has recently been vacated by a gal who had been living with us and it is soon to become stampin' heaven on earth!  I can't wait to get started on it.  I have a design in mind and I'm getting some fantastic (free!) shelving and cabinets to make it happen.  It will take some work and  a whole lot of creativity, but I am so looking forward to the challenge!  I am going to document my progress here during the month of July.  I won't have time to get much done till then, as I am swamped with end-of the-school year craziness.  I also likely won't have much time to stamp while this project unfolds, so I hope you'll bear with me.  I can't wait to share this dream-come-true with all of you and, who knows...maybe I'll give you an idea or two for how you can improve your little corner of stampin' heaven ;)

6 comments:

  1. Leena this is so awesome. Love the texture. And so simple to do. I will definitely experiment with this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! Maybe now I'll actually use my glue gun. Thanks for the step by step instructions. You're card is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is gorgeous. It is a fabulous design and very clever. I love the texture on it. I am so excited to see you do your new room. That's wonderful for you. Now you'll have your own "happy place" to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great card and a new (to me) technique. I love that gold look. I would never have thought to use embossing powder on glue. It worked beautifully. I can't wait to see how your new room comes out. How wonderful to have your very own card cave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is piece of art! Very cool - this is the first time I've seen the hot glue technique. Awesome!

    I can't wait to see your craft studio, and have no doubt it'll be fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just tried this technique, wow, amazing, so beautiful, thank you...luv Ursula xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...